2 lbs. Roma tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 medium onion cut into large pieces
4 to 8 large cloves of garlic
1 – 1 1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
Good splash of olive oil
1 pint vegetable or chicken broth
- Combine everything except broth in a large mixing bowl, sprinkling herbs and stirring just to coat.
- Pour onto a large baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for one hour.
- Transfer roasted ingredients to a blender in portions, adding some of the chicken broth, puree.
- Transfer pureed liquid to large pot. Continue until it is all in the pot.
- Simmer for a while, season to taste.
Quantity of herbs are estimated here. Vary amounts when using fresh herbs (I used dried, powdered).
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, grated cheese, croutons, or all of the above.
Makes four to six servings.